Wedding Cakes on The Apprentice

Cakes 4 Fun   Carolyn Mackenzie

If you’re looking for cakes similar to those on The Apprentice at The National Wedding Show, check out some of the cake makers we have featured here before.  We have showcased the feather effect cake by Cakes 4 Fun who have a stunning range of cakes on their gallery, or if you like the look of the cupcake designs have a look at Carolyn Mackenzie who can do wonders with some fantastic floral or butterfly designs.  Unfortunately I don’t know who the cake supplier for the show was, it could even have been one of the suppliers featured, but the point is with a cake you need to see the design you like and then go and taste for yourself as well as build up a relationship with the supplier, not something the candidates on The Apprentice managed to do very well!

Filed Under: CakesWedding News

Tags:

About the Author:

RSSComments (14)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Sarie Troskie says:

Hi I am from South Africa and love the feathered cake. I know it’s made from, what we call sugar paper, but i need an idea how. Is there a possibility that you can help me or send me some sort of idea how to do it. No-one here knows, so please can you assist.

2. tina says:

Hi Sarie,
    I am making this cake for my son’s wedding this month. It is really simple to make, you just cover the cakes with sugarpaste (roll out fondant icing) and then using edible glue, you stick triangles of rice paper on the sides of each cake, you slightly overlap each one and build up the layers as you go. You can “fluff” the feathers out by using a hairdryer by blowing hot air downwards on the cake. I practised using different methods but this one worked best. It is quite difficult to get the glitter to attach to the rice paper but I used a can of edible lustre spray and then just sprinkled the edible glitter on. Good luck!!

3. Sarie Troskie says:

Tina thank you so much for sharing this with me. I am going to try and and will even send a pic.

4. tina says:

Hi Sarie,

You’re welcome. the wedding is on 25th July so I am making the dummy cakes for the top few tiers at the moment and will be making the bottom 3 tiers nearer the time. Once it is completed I will send you a picture of the finished cake.

5. tina says:

Hi Sarie,

Well the wedding was on Saturday and everyone had a great day. I have tried to attach a picture of the cake so that you can see it but unfortunately I cannot work out how to do it.

6. Sarie Troskie says:

What a pitty i would have loved to see a pic.

7. tina says:

Hi Sarie, if you would like to give me your email address I can send you some pics, I just can’t work out how to put them onto this forum.

• Lisa says:

If you register on the Talk Wedding forum http://www.talkwedding.co.uk/ then it’s pretty easy to upload photos without disclosing your e-mail address. This is a blog that you leave comments on so doesn’t really support uploading photos on comments.

8. tina says:

many thanks for the advice, will do.

9. tina says:

Hi, I have now registered the the Talk Wedding forum as suggested by Lisa and have managed to upload the pic of the feather wedding cake.

10. Lisa says:

The cake is amazing, here’s the link http://www.talkwedding.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3336&posted=1#post3336

11. Sarie Troskie says:

Would you mind to tell me the sizes of the cakes. I still can’t figure out how you get the rice paper to go to a point like that.

12. tina says:

Hi Sarie,

The bottom tier is a 12″ then a 10″ and an 8″. I then iced a 6″ polystyrene dummy and a 4″ dummy. On the very top I bought a polystyrene cone which I purchased from a craft shop. I also iced and stuck the rice paper feathers on top. I cut the rice paper into triangles which are 5″ tall and 2.5″ wide. Hope this helps. Tina.